Sunday 3 July 2016

32nd Edition Of L'International des Feux Loto-Québec Begins

Back when I was a youngster, one of my favourite shows on television was The Dukes of Hazzard.  While I may not have 'been in trouble with the law since the day I was born', my photography has managed to get me into a few meetings with the local law enforcement officials.  Before my Mom gets bent out of shape, no pepper spray, batons or handcuffs were involved and no arrests were made.  Saturday marked the opening of the 32nd edition of L'International des Feux Loto-Québec.  Over the last four years of the blog, July has pretty much been dominated by photographs of fireworks as I really love photographing them. This year, weather and law enforcement permitting, things should be no different.  It was nice and cool, an appreciated treat for July, so I decided to drag My Lovely Assistant and myself for a bike ride over to the Pont De La Concorde to photograph the pretty explosions in the sky.  It's a location that I've used over the last two years and one that I really enjoy.  However, it will now be noted that my photographs taken from the bridge last year will be the last ones, unless some municipal laws and regulations change.  We were delayed getting the to bridge as a boat was passing through the Saint Lawrence Seaway, meaning there was a delay over at the Victoria Bridge as we waited for the deck to lower.  Regardless, we got to the Pont De La Concorde with about 30 minutes to spare before showtime.  I opened up my tripod and began to get my camera ready when, from the corner of my eye, I noticed a police car with its light on make a quick u-turn and head right for us.  The car stopped right next to me and the officer inside made it quite clear that there had been a change in the rules concerning the bridge and people were no longer allowed to remain still.  We had to ciruculate.  Now, had this been a structure where traffic would be flying by, I suppose I would understand, but there is a large concrete barrier between the traffic and the bicycle path and sidewalk.  For what it's worth, the cop was very nice about everything, to the point where even I felt like he knew what he was saying was silly.  With time running and my options suddenly very limited, I decided we should make a run for Parc de la Cité-du-Havre.  I last shot there a few years back, but was afraid that due to the time, I wouldn't be able to get a spot near the railing in order to get a clear shot of the fireworks.  Luckily, I managed to squeeze myself into a spot with about ten minutes to go and was able to shoot away.  The first photograph was taken at f/16, 10sec, ISO 100 at 68mm.  The second photograph was taken at f/16, 13sec, ISO 10 at 68mm and the third photograph was taken at f/11, 13sec, ISO 100 at 68mm.  Here are a couple more photographs that I took during the show.




f/16, 15sec, ISO 100 at 70mm

f/11, 6sec, ISO 100 at 68mm

f/16, 30sec, ISO 100 at 68mm


The fireworks were handled by Feu d'artifice Apogée and was themed 'Our Heroes'.  The soundtrack featured pieces of music from Star Wars, Superman and other 'hero' themed movie soundtracks, as well as some pieces from video games such as Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros.  As for my latest run in with the police, much like those Duke boys, someday the mountain might get me but the law never will.

No comments:

Post a Comment