Monday 1 August 2016

Montreal International Fireworks Competition - Sweden

We've fallen a little bit behind here at the old blog.  The fireworks competition actually wrapped up on Saturday.  However, I've still got a couple of updates left in the docket, waiting to be unleashed upon the world.  There's a very good reason for the delay.  Everything got pushed back because one of my photographs from this show ending up on the evening broadcast of CTV News.  Go ahead, take a moment to go back and relive the moment by following this link.  As previously mentioned, it was Sweden that put their explosives on display on this night.  More specifically, it was the Göteborgs FyrverkeriFabrik AB company.  They were making their third appearance in Montreal, and have a second place finish here in 2010 among their many credentials.  The site I chose was on the same bicycle path where My Lovely Assistant and I parked ourselves a few weeks back for the American portion of the competition.   It did offer a different angle of the fireworks, so I figured I'd try shooting from there.  Once again, the path was full of people there to see the show, further proving my point that it is essential to show up early in order to get a clear view of the fireworks.  This doesn't always go over well with My Lovely Assistant, though she was fortunate enough to run into one of cousins while we were waiting.  Their chatting helped pass some of the time away (allo Noemie).  There were once again some smoke issues involved, but it wasn't as bad as it had been for the other show.  There was also someone with a radio who was broadcasting the soundtrack of the show.  Something that really helps when you're trying to time your fireworks shots.  When you know that a high point in the song is coming, the odds are very good that there will be a big bright explosion to go along with it.  The first photograph was taken at f/7.1, 8sec, ISO 100 at 32mm and the second was taken at f/7.1, 4sec, ISO 100 at 24mm.  Here are a few more photographs that I took during the show

 f/7.1, 5sec, ISO 100 at 30mm

f/9, 6sec, ISO 100 at 30mm

f/9, 6sec, ISO 100 at 30mm

f/9, 6sec, ISO 100 at 30mm

That last photograph wasn't actually part of my original update, but I ended up having a spare spot due to the photograph that appeared on the news getting an update of its own.  It's a little different from the traditional fireworks shots I've taken with the straight lines taking the place of the arcing blasts of light.  I thought it was kind of unique and so bumped it into the rotation when the opportunity arrived.  Hope some of you like it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment