Wednesday 19 September 2018

A Celebration Of Lights

I guess that 100 is a number worth celebrating, and what better way to celebrate than with a light show.  It has been a busy year so far on the blog, especially since I had originally intended on cutting back a little bit on the photographs this year.  However, those of you who have been paying attention are aware that June, July and August ended up being rather busy for your Friendly Neighbourhood Photographer.  Fireworks, concerts, trips and a variety of things that either popped out of the archives or caught my eye resulted in 50 updates here over the last three months.  Speaking of the archives, these are some shots that I took a few years ago at a Canada Day party in Greenfield Park.  I was there because I wanted to take some photographs of the musical acts.  Feel free to go back in time and check out the photographs of Patrick Lehman and Kevin Bazinet by following the links.  In between the two acts was a fireworks display, but I didn't want to lose my spot for the concerts so I didn't have a clear view to shoot the fireworks.  I decided to point my camera at the explosions in the sky, used a remote trigger to keep the lens open for various lengths of time and shook it around in different directions while also randomly zooming in and out.  The result is a bunch of pretty cool looking light streaks which are always fun to look at.  The first photograph was taken at f/25, 20sec, ISO 100 at various lengths and the second photograph was taken at f/18, 30sec, ISO 100 at various lengths.  Since three is the magic number, here's a third photograph to close things out.

f/18, 15sec, ISO 100 at various lengths

I had originally prepared these photographs, two years later, as a back-up in case one of the summer fireworks shows got rained out.  Rather than stick them back in the archives, I felt that a light show would be appropriate for the 100th update of the year.  Stick around, there are sure to be a few more before the year comes to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment