Saturday 15 June 2013

Boucherville Relay For Life 2013

Sadly, there are not that many people among us who can say that they don't know someone who has been touched by Cancer.  It's a terrible disease that seems to be able to strike anyone, at any time.  Through scientific research, many more people survive a diagnosis of Cancer than ever before, but there are still so many people who are not so lucky.  Much like many of you, Cancer has touched my family as well.  I've lost two Uncles and my Grandmother to the disease.  More recently, I've also lost a friend from High School and just this week, I discovered that one of my High School teachers had passed away from the disease.  I also know one survivor.  The lady in yellow with the big smile is my friend Jasmine, and she survived a Cancer scare a few years back.  Since her recovery, she has regularly taken part in the yearly Relay For Life, a charity raising event for the Canadian Cancer Society.  Several times over the last couple of years I've gone to the event to take photographs of her and of the event which she then uses in her promotion posters and these posters are used in her fundraising events.  While at these events, you can't help be be overwhelmed a little bit emotionally.  Being surrounded by Cancer survivors, they're the ones who are sporting the yellow t-shirts, is a powerful reminder that the disease doesn't have to be a death sentence.  On the flip side, lining both sides of the walking path are little bags that serve as little reminders of those people who were not so lucky.  I walked the course I couple of times last night, all the while thinking about how fortunate I am, but also spent several moments thinking about the many people I have lost.  I thought of my Uncle Doug, a man who was so strong and athletic that I couldn't believe how old he really was when I made the discovery at his funeral.  I thought of my friend Kimberly who had a smile that could not only light up a room, but also the personality needed to light up the rest of the building. I though about my former High School teacher, Miss Hendy, who I only found out the day before this event had died on Tuesday.  I thought about my Oncle Claude, who died when I was very young and never really had the chance to get to know, as well as his wife my Tante Juliette who was just recently diagnosed with the disease this past fall.  I also thought about my Grammie, who was always so supportive of me.  Though she had lived a long life, it was still Cancer that ended up taking her away.  Wow, things got kind of serious there for a second, didn't they.  Well, Cancer is a serious subject and if my photographs can be used by somebody to help them in their fundraising effort, than I am all the more honoured to be asked to take them.  Getting back to the photography side of things, I'm someone who generally always likes to shoot at ISO 100, and in the past I have paid for it at these events by getting lots of blurred photos as most of the course takes places under the cover of several trees that line the path.  Not wanting to make that same mistake again, I immediately moved to ISO 400, which was used for all of these photos, except for the fifth shot which was taken at ISO 800.  I also tried to use as large an aperture as possible in order to get the fastest shutter speeds that I would need to capture all of the movement.  In order of appearance, the photographs were shot using the following settings.  f/4, 1/400sec at 46mm.  f/4, 1/400sec at 32mm.  f/3.2, 1/250sec at 68mm.  f/2.8, 1/500sec at 32mm, f/2.8, 1/500sec at 35mm and finally f/3.2, 1/200sec at 41mm.  While taking the photographs, I tried to use some of the skills I learned while taking my course in Photojournalism.  Try and capture the story in a few photos.  The photograph at the Start/Finish line tells you what is going on.  The photograph of the long line of people crossing over, and waiting to cross over, the bridge tells you that this was a rather large event with lots of people.  The photograph with the two young children, with the Cancer survivor just behind them, reminds you that this is a disease that can strike anyone, at any age.  The photographs of people holding up the signs they had made is an example of how the support of friends and family can mean all the difference in the battle against Cancer.  Those were my personal interpretations.  I don't know if those were the feelings you got from the photos, but it's what I was feeling when I took them.  I hope that I haven't come come across as some kind of preacher for the cause with this post, because that isn't what I was going for.  I just personally believe that fighting Cancer is a worthwhile cause and I'm just trying to do my little bit by taking some photographs for a friend...while also providing a link to the Canadian Cancer Society should any of you happen to want to make a donation.  These Relay For Life Events happen all over the Country and there are also several other events held all during the year.  You can probably find an event taking place somewhere near you by checking out their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment