Wednesday 10 July 2013

Girls Wanna Have Fun...Part II

Everybody loves a sequel, right?  Here's Part Two of the photos I took at the Girls Wanna Have Fun show held on Canada Day in Greenfield Park.  I pretty much covered the entire story of the day in Part One, but there was another little note I wanted to add.   so I guess we'll let the pictures do the talking for this post.  I'll write the settings I used under each of the pictures.  Due to time issues when shooting events like this one, you don't usually have the time to be changing your lens and risk missing the action.  As I previously mentioned, in most situations, your average show photographer will only have about three or four songs to get the shots that he needs for the morning newspaper, a magazine or internet review.  That's what they often carry more than one camera with them.  Since I have yet to win the6/49, I'm still a one camera kind of guy, but I do have a couple of lenses.  I brought three with me for this show.  A Canon 24-70mm, 50mm and also a 70-300mm.  I had a specific reason for each.  I brought the 24-70mm because it is my favourite lens and has always done me well when shooting shows for the Choeur Vive Voix. I brought the 50mm because it can shoot at f/1.8.  The larger aperture means a little bit more shutter speed which we know is essential in low light situations like this concert.  I also brought the 70-300mm along incase I couldn't get close enough to the stage to use the other two lenses.  The positive of using the 70-300mm lens is that I could be a fair distance away and still get some tight shots.  However, the one negative, and it's a big one, is that the lens doesn't shoot past f/4.5 at 70mm and f/5.6 at 300mm.  In other words, what I gain in distance, I lose in shutter speed.  As a result, the first two lenses saw much more action than the zoom lens did.  It was kind of a challenge to switch between lenses in the middle of a show.  I didn't want to risk missing much of the concert, so when I chose to switch a lens, I did so between songs.  I was getting pretty fast at it too, though in the back of my mind I was always kind of worried about picking up dust spots on my shots.  You don't open your camera without having such worries. While the 70-300mm experiment wasn't a success, I was happy to see that I didn't have very many dust spots to deal with either.  Don't worry, my camera and all three lenses got a good air bath when we got home.  So, here are the rest of the photos. I haven't forgotten about the settings.  As usual, they're printed in the order that that photographs appear on the page.  f/1.8, 1/500sec, ISO 1600, -2 Exposure at 50mm.  f/5.6, 1/80sec, ISO 1600, -2 Exposure, 250mm.  f/5, 1/80sec, ISO 1600, -2 Exposure at 190mm.  f/5, 1/80sec, ISO 1600, -2 Exposure at 220mm.  f/2.8, 1/50sec, ISO 1600, -2 Exposure at 70mm and finally, f/4.5, 1/125sec, ISO 1600, -2 Exposure at 135mm.  It's a good thing that I 'covered the entire story' with the last post.  That's what happens when I begin to ramble.  I've still got one more update to go with photographs from this show so I hope that you're all still interested in seeing a few more and I'll try to find something else to say for that batch as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment