Tuesday 18 February 2014

Bright Lights

I was visiting my parents on Saturday and was in the process of trying to photograph some birds that were taking advantage of the free food that was available at my Mom's feeder when something strange caught my eye.  It was a solar light, that I guess in warmer times would have been planted in the ground.  However, it was now sitting on the outside table, half covered in snow.  I asked what it was doing there and then went back to trying to photograph the birds.  Supper time quickly arrived, and with the sun now gone from the sky the light had turned on and it caught my eye once again.  I really liked the way that the light lit up the snow on the table.  If you look real close, which might be hard with the low resolution version that I'm putting up here, you can see the individual flakes.  I shot this photograph at f/2.8, 1/40sec, ISO 640 at 60mm.  I needed to use a high ISO because I had left my tripod at home, but I didn't want to use a very high ISO because I didn't want the resulting grain to show up in the black background.  Sometimes it pays off to notice the strange things...even if it makes you late to the table when you go outside to photograph them.

No comments:

Post a Comment