Friday 23 January 2015

He Shoots & Scores! - UPDATED

A few days ago I found myself with a free Sunday morning while My Lovely Assistant was stuck going to her Day Job.  Trying to think of something to do, I decided to head over to the Bell Sports Complex in Brossard.  I was hoping to get lucky and find a hockey game that I could shoot.  I suppose some people might find that to be a little weird, as I suppose some of those players might have though seeing me up in empty stands taking photographs of them.  But, the best thing about empty stands is that it means I had free reign to set up anywhere I wanted.  I looked at the scoreboard and noticed that the red team was leading 4-1, so I chose to place myself near the net of the yellow team.  As luck would have it, the yellow team ended up scoring more goals the rest of the game and I failed to take advantage of my empty stands by moving around, but I did manage to catch this little sequence with #19 scoring a goal.  I was a little disappointed that I didn't manage to freeze #19.  All of the photographs were taken in Manual mode at 1/250th of a second so I thought I was using a fast enough shutter speed to freeze the action.  What I think might have happened was that I left the auto-focus on and my camera ended up focusing on the backboards rather than the goaltender as orginally intended.  What I usually do is use the auto-focus to focus the goaltender and try to frame the shot a little bit before shooting.  #19 broke in on a break-away after a quick turnover and I guess I wasn't fast enough to switch the auto-focus off.  I was happy to have frozen the goalie and the puck though, especially in the second shot where you see the puck going into the top corner.  All of the shots were taken at f/6.3, 1/250sec, ISO 1600 at 85mm and I over-exposed each shot by +0.3 step in order to try and get as much speed with the available light that I had.  It was a fun way to pass the morning and to practice my shooting skills.  I'll try and do that again a few more times.



*** UPDATE ***

After looking at those photographs again one day later, I came to realize that they were much darker than I had thought they were.  So, I went back and played with them a little bit in Photoshop using the Levels tool.  I played with the Midtones a little bit and brightened up the shots a little bit.  I won't delete the other photos, but here are the new ones.



Feel free to let me know if you like the brighter shots or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment