Thursday 5 February 2015

A Little More Steam

I know this seems to be a constant theme of mine, but it really doesn't feel like two weeks have passed since my first ice fog photograph back on the 20th of January.  At the time I promised more to come, so I guess I had better get moving before I end up finishing this series of photographs in July.  As previously mentioned, I was a little bit disappointed with the lack of steam coming off of the river that first morning, so I had decided to go back the next morning and try my luck.  It was even colder than the previous morning, I believe it was something like -21 Celsius.  The biggest problem I had to deal with, other than the cold I suppose, would be having to cross the Victoria Bridge into Montreal during morning rush hour traffic.  I knew that I had to be at my site for sunrise as my 10:00AM arrival the previous morning was really late.  I hit the road around 7:30AM and was met with a long line of cars waiting to get onto the bridge.  I was immediately disappointed as I feared I would be stuck in line wasting gas as I missed sunrise.  Luckily, the traffic ended up being far less long than I thought it would be.  It only ended up taking about 20 minutes to get onto and then cross the bridge.  After arriving, I was very happy to see that I had guessed right, there was lots of steam coming off of the river, some of it even sticking to the bridge, leaving a little layer of ice over the metal structure.  The only thing that bothered me was that it was really cloudy and very little sun.  So, I decided to play around with different shutter speeds  to try and get some different style photographs.  The wind kicked up a little bit while I was there and I got some blowing snow into the third shot. The first photograph was shot at f/22, 1/20sec, ISO 400 at 34mm.  The second photograph was taken at f/7.1, 1/320sec, ISO 400 at 70mm and the third photograph was taken at f/9, 1/200sec, ISO 400 at 70mm.  I know it doesn't sound very interesting, but I enjoy standing in the snow and trying out different camera settings in -20 degree weather.  I guess we all have different definitions of fun.  After getting these shots, I was about to head home when something happened, but I'm going to make you wait a little bit longer.  Hopefully less than two weeks, and before the snow melts.



No comments:

Post a Comment