Sunday 8 February 2015

Never Too Cold For A Swim

As I slowly make my way through the ice fog photographs, I wanted to share another photograph that I took the same day.  After finishing up at the Victoria Bridge, I thought I would take a quick ride down Highway 10 to a little spot I like to visit on the Richelieu River.  The water flows pretty fast past a tree that is growing on a a little island in the river and I thought it would look nice with the ice fog rising off of the river.  However, the ice fog was so thick over there that it completely blocked the tree from view.  I figured I had made the trip for nothing, but then I noticed a goose sitting on the ice near the shore as I made my way down to the river.  I tried to walk as slowly and quietly as possible so as to not spook the goose, but I wasn't quiet enough to not spook a couple of ducks that were nearby.  The ducks taking off tipped off the goose, and it quickly left its spot on the ice and began to swim away.  With nothing left to lose, I sped up a little but and managed to take a few photographs as it swam away.  I think this photograph properly shows how cold it was at the moment.  I took this photograph at f/18, 1/125sec, ISO 400 at 70mm.  The pieces of ice on the water and the ice fog at the top of the photo should be enough to give you the chills, if you don't have them already after looking out your own window. 

No comments:

Post a Comment