Wednesday 22 July 2015

Cloud City

While we're on the topic of clouds, I figured this to be as good a time as any to fish out some older photographs from the archives.  As far as the archives go, these photographs haven't been forgotten very long.  They were taken back in December after a failed attempt to photograph some fireworks.  Hmm, that sounds rather familiar.  For those of you who don't remember, feel free to click on that link.  Though here's a quick recap.  A giant cloud of mist was hanging over the city.  It was quite impressive, though I was a little bit less impressed when the cloud was still there that night when I wanted to photograph some fireworks.  Frustrated, I packed up my gear and decided to give something else a try.  I drove up to the observation deck on Mount Royal and what I saw was pretty cool.  Entire buildings were blocked from view.  You can usually see the river and several bridges from that vantage point.  Nope, there weren't there any more on that night. I took a few shots and was making my way back to my car when I noticed that the mist had lifted a little bit and I could see some of the city lights in the sky.  I quickly went back to the spot where I had taken my previous photographs and snapped a third one of the just reappeared buildings, though they didn't remain in view very long as the mist very quickly swallowed them back up.  It really was something impressive to see. If you look closely at the third photograph, you can see that some of the city skyscrapers can be seen where there is only the large cloud of mist in the other two.  If  you'd like to see the same view but without the mist just to see the big difference, feel free to check out this photograph which I took a few years before from pretty much the same spot.  The first photograph was taken at f/16, 40sec, ISO 100 at 30mm.  The second photograph was taken at f/16, 52sec, ISO 100 at 30mm and the third photograph was taken at f/16, 32sec, ISO 100 at 24mm.  I had never seen such a thing as that mist cloud before.  It really was something that I don't think I'll forget, and I'm glad I decided to trek out to the mountain that night to photograph it.




No comments:

Post a Comment