Friday 24 December 2021

Christmas Cactus

A few years back, My Lovely Assistant got a Christmas cactus as a gift.  However, I think that its internal calendar must have been off by a little bit because it never would actually bloom at Christmas time.  Sometimes in November, sometimes in January, even in March one year, but never actually in December.  All hope appeared to be lost, until this year.  With Christmas just around the corner, our plant bloomed a few days ago, so I figured it would be an ideal time to take some photographs of it.  The petals are a soft and delicate white before streaking towards a solid pink tip.  I rotated the flower a little bit in order to get a clearer view of the inside, but also took a few shots from it's natural position.  There was lots of twisting and turning involved, but I managed to get the shots I was looking for without breaking the flower.  Due to 'The Plague', it will be another Christmas at home away from the family again, but at least we have a nice flower to look at.  No, it doesn't really compare, but in times like these, we try and find a little bit of positive where we can.  The first photograph was taken at f/4, 1/125sec, ISO 400 at 60mm using a Macro lens.  Here are a few more photographs of our Christmas cactus.

f/6.3, 1/200sec, ISO 1600 at 70mm

f/4, 1/200sec, ISO 1600 at 70mm

f/6.3, 1/100sec, ISO 1600 at 70mm

The little flower doesn't really compare to being with my family, but it does at least succeed in putting a little smile on my face.  Something that hasn't come very easy over the last few days.  Merry Christmas to all, and I hope that there is a little bit of joy out there for everyone to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment