Wednesday 3 April 2013

A Little Snip Here, A Little Snip There

 One thing I've been trying to do a little more often is play with different kinds of cropping sizes in Photoshop.  One of the reasons for this has to do with the popularity of one of my photographs taken of Montreal that was on display at my photography exhibition.  For those of you who are curious, you can see the photograph in question here.  The only downside to these special crop sizes is that it gets rather difficult to find a good frame to fit the odd size crops that you decide to finally use, but it can be done.  Another reason to do some cropping is to get a final image that you just couldn't get by using the camera alone.  This photograph is a good example.  It comes from the Bishop Stewart Memorial Church of the Holy Trinity in Frelighsburgh, QC.  Some of you may remember some other photographs I took from that location.  Those of you who don't can find them here.  These stained glass windows are located over the main door and no matter how I positioned myself, I just couldn't get an angle that satisfied me.  So, knowing that Photoshop was there to help, I just took a wide shot of the door and decided to play around with the image at a later time.  This shot was taken at f/2.8, 1/500sec, ISO 400 at 42mm and then cropped to 12" x 6".  In all honesty, I also tweaked the image a little bit using the Curves tool in Photoshop.  It's another thing that I'm trying to get a little more comfortable using.  As an example, I've also included the original photograph that I took to show you the difference in what was shot, and what I finished with.

No comments:

Post a Comment