Monday 29 April 2013

Kind Of Blue

Here's something that I haven't said very much in my days as a photographer.  Photoshop saved my picture.  I'll allow you all a moment to pick your jaws up from off of the floor.  I'll be honest, this photo didn't quite go the way I had planned.  When I was planning the shot, for some reason I had it in my head that the lights were on the other side of the street.  Second, while I was waiting for the snow to melt, it appears as if half of the street lights had burned out.  Third, I knew that I wanted to take this picture before the leaves had covered the trees and blocked my view, but I didn't know that it would also leave me with the back of a large scoreboard from the Olympic Bassin.  Worst of all, I specifically waited for a little bit after the sun went down to take this picture so that I would have nice blue sky, but no matter how I tried to adjust my camera, be it aperture or shutter speed, I was left with an ugly grey sky.  Are any of you still reading after all of that negativity?  I know, you're all still stunned by the earlier admission of photoshop usage.  Okay, how about a little positivity.  I still wish that the lights would have been on the other side of the image, but if they were then I wouldn't have been able to capture the light streaks of the cars passing on the highway.  It's true that it would have been nice if all of the road lights worked, but if they did I probably wouldn't have gotten the cool blue reflection of the dome on the ground.  I can't think of anything nice to say about the scoreboard, but thanks to Photoshop my sky is blue again.  I figured I had nothing left to lose, so I decided to play around with the Color Balance option and added a whole lot of blue to the picture.  Suddenly, my sky was blue once again, I had what I feel is pretty close to the picture I wanted to take, and all else is right with the world.  For those of you wondering, this shot was taken at f/7.1, 7sec, ISO 100 at 200mm.  Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I've included the original before Photoshop photograph so that you can see the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment