Sunday 5 October 2014

Degrees Of Separation

It's true that I don't do very much Photoshopping with my photographs, but I do like to play with certain little things every once in a while.  One of the things that I sometimes like to do is to rotate the canvas and turn vertical photographs into horizontal shots, or vice versa.  That's what I did with this Day Lily.  You've seen lots of Day Lilies here over the past few years, and you're likely to keep seeing them as they remain my favourite flower to photograph.  However, this one has been in the archives for a while now because there was just something about it that seemed to bother me.  I had tried something different with this shot, having the flower pointed to the right of the screen rather than to the left as I usually did.  It might just be a case of my being picky, but it just rubbed me the wrong way.  So, I decided to see how I'd like the photo if I rotated it 90degrees.  I liked it.  It seemed new, fresh and interesting to me.  The base of the flower seemed to come more alive at the bottom of the screen and I liked how the stems seem to be reaching out.  I also liked how the petal, now in the background of the photo, kind of sticks out a little bit more, likening it to a kind of cap.  Maybe all of this is in my imagination and in the eyes of others there really is no difference in how you view the photograph, but the simple change of rotating the photograph did make a heckuva difference to me.  This photograph was taken at f/5, 1/320sec, ISO 1600 at 60mm.  What do you think?  Is all of this in my head?  Is there one version of this photograph that you like better than the other?  Feel free to let me know.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment