Sunday 17 May 2015

Birds Of War

I always like to try new things with my camera, I'm just not fast in getting the results up here to the blog.  On this particular occasion, I was wanting to play around with shutter speeds.  You obviously need something that moves rather fast if you want to play with shutter speeds, and after seeing a bird feeder in view from the window I knew that I'd be able to have a little bit of fun.  I guess that it must have been close to lunch time for the birds as well as they were flying all around the feeder, trying to get a spot in order to grab some of the seeds that were out for the taking.  I was hoping to catch a few of those birds in flight, so I cranked up on the shutter, put the camera into continuous shooting mode, and then played around with different apertures.  The first photograph was taken at f/5.6, 1/500sec, ISO 400 at 300mm.  Here are a few more.

f/5.6, 1/500sec, ISO 400 at 300mm

f/5.6, 1/500sec, ISO 400 at 300mm

These three photographs all came from the same sequence.  I spent a few minutes watching the birds as they sat in the tree, just before making the leap to the feeder.  Once I felt that I had timed their motions, I would press the trigger button just before I thought the birds would make their move.  If I timed everything right, I'd end up with a little sequence like the one we see here.  To be honest though, I also ended up with shots of the birds just sitting in the tree and not moving at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment