Friday 1 May 2015

Canadiens Cake

I guess I've kept you all waiting for dessert long enough.  I had originally intended to do this update on Wednesday morning, but quickly found myself running out of time.  So, a little teaser went up on the site as I hoped to whet your appetites for the chocolate treat you are about to receive.  Long time visitors of the site are aware of the talents of My Lovely Assistant in the kitchen.  This past weekend we had a little birthday dinner party for one of her sisters, and she decided to make dessert.  The night of the party was also the same night as Game Six of the playoff series between the Montreal Canadiens and the Ottawa Senators, so with everyone pulling for the Habs, My Lovely Assistant decided to go with a hockey themed cake.  This particular one is known as a Chocolate Cluny Cake.  She spent most of the day making it as the work in putting those logos together using Fondant icing involved paying attention to details and lots of patience.  I wanted to take some photographs of the cake because I think it looked great.  I tried to experiment a little bit as well using my flash and different apertures and shutter speeds.  Why not take the time to try some different things out.  Fortunately, my experimentation with the camera settings was a little less messy than her work with the icing.  Sadly, I have a rather dull kitchen and I figured that it wouldn't be very interesting to see a wall, couch or chair in the background of the photographs, so I tried to use some Canadiens related gear to use as different backgrounds.  The chair is still there in the third photograph, but is mostly hidden by the flag and made a little less noticeable due to being blurred by using a larger aperture.  I also took some close-up shots as well to try and show off some of the details in the cake decorations.  One thing is for sure, everyone loved the dessert, and the Canadiens managed to eliminate the Senators.  I guess you could say that we had out cake and ate it too. Hopefully these photos will bring some luck for the 2nd Round Series against the Tampa Bay Lightning.  The first photograph was taken at f/16, 1/200sec, ISO 400 at 60mm.  The second photograph was taken at f/16, 1/125sec, ISO 400 at 60mm and the third photograph was taken at f/2.8, 1/250sec, ISO 400 at 60mm.  Here are a few more photographs that I took of the cake.
f/2.8, 1/250sec, ISO 400 at 46mm

f/7.1, 1/250sec, ISO 400 at 24mm

Another winning creation from the kitchen of My Lovely Assistant.  I hope that my photographs have done justice to her fine work.






No comments:

Post a Comment