Monday 20 February 2017

Flash Not Needed

I often find myself looking for reasons to shoot photographs of things with flash because it is a form of photograph that still frustrates me to this day.  However, given my choice, there is still no replacing some bright rays of sunshine in order to get a really nice look.  I also prefer the natural shadows that come with shooting in the sun, the little shadows under a petal or in a background that get swallowed up with the flash.  Which is why I re-shot these Christmas flowers, which were given to My Lovely Assistant as a Christmas present and were shot using flash, one day shortly afterwards when the sun finally came out to play.  The first photograph was taken at f/6.3, 1/1000sec, ISO 400 at 60mm.  Here are a few more flash-free photographs.

f/16, 1/125sec, ISO 400 at 60mm

f/2.8, 1/4000sec, ISO 400 at 60mm

f/6.3, 1/1000sec, ISO 400 at 60mm

f/4, 1/6400sec, ISO 400 a 60mm

I really like that last shot.  While I was moving the potted Amaryllis around, I got the idea of trying to shoot a photograph from above, with the filament and anthers reaching away from the colourful petals and appear adding some colour to the darkness that fills the top of the photograph.  Just a little bit of the fun that I like to have with flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment