Tuesday 18 July 2017

Montreal International Fireworks Competition - Poland

I'm getting a little bit of a late start on the International Des Feux Loto-Quebéc this year due to some family related outings, but the truth is that maybe a little break is a good thing.  As I've said in the past, learning how to get nice photographs if fireworks is what initially inspired me to learn more about photography in the first place, but after six years, I'm kind of suffering from a lack of inspiration.  I still like photographing the annual exhibition because I know that I'm seeing the best in the world, but I really need to find some new locations.  I like where I've been shooting the last few years, but repetition is starting to set in and I'd like to find some new spots to try.  In the meantime, I went back to a familiar spot for my first outing of the festival, though I ended up photographing the fireworks from a slightly different location.  This show was put on by the Surex Pyrotechnics company out of Poland.  It was a very colourful show that I photographed against the Jacques Cartier Bridge.  I know that you usually like to have the fireworks be unobstructed in photographs but I've kind of felt like using the bridge is an exception because there are so many additional little details to see.  The starring effects of the traffic lights and being able to pick out the people who are watching the display from the deck of the bridge have always been interesting to my eye.  An added bonus, there was a little extra window of light under the superstructure of the bridge which brought out some of the other steel details under the bridge.  The first photograph, which I also cropped to 12" x 4" for a wider view in order to get the illuminated portion of the bridge near the bottom left, was taken at f/14, 45sec, ISO 100 at 42mm.  The second photograph was taken at f/14, 20sec, ISO 100 at 43mm.  The third photograph was taken at f/14, 20sec, ISO 100 at 42mm and the fourth photograph was taken at f/14, 35sec, ISO 100 at 42mm.  Here are a few more photographs that I took of the display.

f/14, 30sec, ISO 100 at 42mm

f/14, 10sec ISO 100 at 42mm

And with that, the opening bangs have been fired.  Previous complaining aside, I still really like to watch these fireworks displays, so even if I can't find any new locations, you can probably bet you'll see a few more of these updates before the 33rd annual edition of the fireworks competition comes to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment