Sunday 2 July 2017

Trying Something New

The 2017 edition of the L'Internation des Feux Loto Quebec began last night, but I ended up missing out on the event due to being at a surprise party for my 'baby brother', in honour of his 40th birthday.  However, the lack of new material, means that I get to post something that I've been working on instead.  One of the more frustrating things about photographing fireworks is when the explosions don't happen in enough different spots to fill your frame.  Take this photograph for instance, which I took a few years back from the observation deck on Mount Royal.  I often found myself getting nice explosions over the bridge, but many shots were lacking a little something at bridge level of just below it.  Now Photoshop for me is still a bit of a learning process, but it is also provides some fun times of experimentation.  What I did here was take one photograph of fireworks exploding over the bridge, taken at f/16, 20sec ISO 100 at 100mm and then combined it with another photograph taken of fireworks going off a little lower which was also taken at f/16, 20sec, ISO 100 at 100mm.  I was able to mix them together using the Layers tool in Photoshop and lots of experimentation.  So much experimentation, in fact, that I can't really tell you exactly what I did.  I need to start taking more notes to keep for myself when I do stuff like this.  

To finish things off, I cropped the photograph a little bit tighter around the bridge in order to make the fireworks stand out a little bit more.  It's not a 'real' photograph since I needed to do some manipulation to get to the final image, but it was some fun manipulation.

No comments:

Post a Comment