Saturday 23 September 2017

Hoppy Returns

All of these new photographs are fine and dandy, but this has been a bad year for those older photographs that are continuing to collect dust on my hard drive.  Though I decided to title this photo set "Hoppy Returns", he actually returned back in 2014 after one of his cousins made an appearance here on the blog back in the summer of 2013.  Other photographs get taken, seasons pass and then next thing you know, three years have passed in the flash of an eye.  I get that feeling a lot lately, but the recent butterfly update reminded me of these little grasshopper photographs that have been sitting around patiently, waiting to be shared with everyone.  I sometimes worry about my memory, but photographs like these put that worry at ease since I'm still able to remember the story behind the shots.  This particular 'hopper was dangerously close to some spiderwebs when I found him, with an eight-legged creepy-crawly watching nearby and probably looking forward to a big snack.  I couldn't let that happen so I grabbed a broom that My Lovely Assistant keeps outside and brushed away the webs, clearing the path for Hoppy to roam free.  I then asked the little guy if he wouldn't mind posing for a few photographs.  Yes, I talk to bugs.  Maybe memory loss isn't the head condition I should really be worrying about after all.  Psychological assessment aside, Hoppy obliged by stretching out along the wall, and resting on the walkway before giving one last glance backwards before taking off, as if to say, "You got all of the shots you need?"  Yes, I do have a healthy imagination, thank-you for asking.  The first photograph was taken at f/4, 1/60sec, ISO 400 at 60mm and the second photograph was taken at f/6.3, 1/100sec, ISO 100 at 60mm.  Here are a few more of the photographs that I took while Hoppy was around.

f/6.3, 1/60sec, ISO 100 at 60mm

f/4, 1/60sec, ISO 400 at 60mm

See, I wasn't making it up.  In that last photograph you can see that Hoppy has his head turned back towards me.  Seconds later I gave him the 'thumbs up' and away he went.  Hoppy began his career as an insect model, I got some nice photographs and everyone was happy.  Well, everyone except for that spider who lost his snack, but I'm sure he ended up okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment