Saturday 24 November 2018

The Beaches At L'Astral

Longtime followers of the blog should be well aware that two of my favourite subjects to be featured here are photographs of fireworks and concerts.  Getting shots of fireworks is pretty basic, however it is a little more tricky for concerts.  The outdoor shows are pretty easy to get into, all you have to do is show up.  Things change for shows in a concert hall.  I have been lucky enough to manage to get a camera into some of the shows that I have attended over the last few years, but some deception and chicanery was often involved.  Last night, neither of those underhanded tactics were necessary.  I had a free evening, and I saw that a band I enjoy was playing in town so I decided to take a chance.  I sent off an email to the band managers, described my photographic history and also a small portfolio of some of my concert photographs.  Much to my surprise and joy, I got news a day later that my request for a photo pass had been accepted.  Some rather happy news for your friendly neighbourhood photographer.  Getting back to the subject at hand, The Beaches are a rock band out of Toronto that have really shot up in popularity over the last year.  Their single, T-Shirt, was one of the big radio hits of the Summer.  They had released a few EP's in 2013 and 2014 before their first full length album, The Late Show, was released last October.  The didn't waste much time in getting some recognition either, being nominated for a SOCAN Songwriting Prize and winning a JUNO for Breakthrough Group of the Year.  The concert itself was a blast.  My pass allowed me to shoot the first three songs, so I looked up some videos of their previous concerts to see what to expect.  After the three songs ended, I blended into the background as I was allowed to stay for the rest of the show and tried to take a few extra sneaky pics from time to time.  The crowd was very much into the high energy songs and rocking to the music all evening.  The first photograph was taken at f/2.8, 1/160sec, ISO 1600 at 35mm.  The second photograph was taken at f/2.8, 1/160sec, ISO 3200 at 70mm and the third photograph was taken at f/2.8, 1/160sec, ISO 1600 at 24mm.  Here are a few more photographs that I took during their set.

f/2.8, 1/160sec, ISO 1600 at 24mm

f/2.8, 1/320sec, ISO 1600 at 24mm

f/2.8, 1/250sec, ISO 1600 at 40mm

f/2.8, 1/400sec, ISO 3200 at 27mm

f/2.8, 1/160sec, ISO 3200 at 115mm

f/2.8, 1/160sec, ISO 3200 at 200mm

What a great evening.  Once again, much thanks to Universal Music Canada, Evenko and Greenland Productions for providing me with a photo pass.  You can find out more about The Beaches, including how to get their album and where to see them next, by visiting their website.  It was a very memorable evening.  Hopefully there will be more like them in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment