Wednesday 27 April 2022

Easter Tulips

I've always been a fan of flowers.  Their bright colours and crisp details always grab my attention and draw my eyes to them.  For Easter, My Lovely Assistant ended up being gifted a pot of tulips.  They still hadn't opened yet, but that didn't mean that they weren't nice to look at.  While beautiful, they have a very short shelf life, so I knew that my procrastinating ways wouldn't work out very well.  Once the Next Generation was put to sleep, I grabbed my camera and went to work.  For the first photograph, which was taken at f/5.6, 1/160sec, ISO 100 at 70mm, I stacked up the pot on some thick books so that I was shooting from a little bit under the tulip to get a good view of those red and white lines.  For the second photograph below, which was also taken at f/5.6, 1/160sec, ISO 100 at 70mm, I went the opposite route.  One of the tulips was beginning to slowly open, so I tried to shoot from above so I could see inside, but keeping the bottom half of flower hidden by the petals.  In my mind, it feels like we're peaking in on something that we're not quite supposed to be seeing just yet.  Some flash was bounced off of the ceiling for both photographs to bring out the colours.  Both the reds and whites on the outside, and that little hint of yellow that you can see on the second photograph.  They opened for real about a day later, but we'll save those photographs for another time.  It's always best to keep the audience wanting more.

No comments:

Post a Comment