Wednesday 27 February 2013

Emancipate Us From Winter

First off, I feel the need to mention the title of this post.  I am not one to complain about snow or winter.  I am a cold weather person and will take the slushy snow falling on us today anytime over the heat and humidity of summer.  However, as someone who works with the public, I also know that my preferences are not shared with the majority of people.  So, in an effort to provide some relief to those of you who are having the February Blah's, here is a shot I took while taking an early morning walk in Vancouver a few years back.  Something I always look for when I'm on a photo walk is reflections.  In puddles, on glass, or in this case, on False Creek.  I found myself wide awake at 5:30AM that morning and decided that it was the perfect time to do a little walking tour of Downtown Vancouver.  I ended up down by the site of Expo '88 and found this lonely old boat floating around in a sea of modern buildings.  It was a real throwback, and upon closer inspection, I discovered that the boat had the perfect name, Emancipation.  I walked around the bicycle path, trying to find a vantage point that would allow me to take advantage of all of the reflections on the water, but also allowed me to get the name of the boat in my shot.  I took this photograph at f/4, 1/800sec, ISO 100 at 51mm.  I was curious to know if this boat was actually owned by someone or if it was just in the creek as a kind of funny exhibition, so I used Google Earth recently to check the location out and the boat is gone.  I hope it's enjoying its freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment