Tuesday 5 February 2013

Midnight Train To Saint-Lambert

Digging into the archives again for another of the photographs that was seen during my exposition this past fall.  This is a shot that I had seen in my mind for over a year, but had been to lazy to actually go out and take.  I know, I can't believe that I'd be lazy for a year either.  We'll just call it a scheduling snafu and leave it at that.  This shot was taken just a bit past the Saint-Lambert CN Train Station, and in the background you can see a part of the Victoria Bridge that leads to Montreal.  Passing by a railroad crossing near this location, I often saw how the lights from the towers would follow the steel rail tracks and thought it would make a nice photograph.  I believe I had a good idea and so did someone else as I sold a framed copy of this shot during my show.  This photograph was taken at f/10, 15sec. ISO 100 at 70mm.  Again, the long exposure creates that star effects around the lights, as well as adding some light to the sky.  The sun had just gone down, but there was enough light to be picked up by the long exposure.  I like how the red light reflecting on the rails acts as a leading line towards the light towers, and then beyond the station right to the bridge.  The same goes for the reflections on the telephone and electric wires seen on the left-hand side of the photo.  One other thing of note, I do not suggest you attempt to take this kind of photo on your own.  Train tracks are not the safest place to be.  Yes, I took the shot, but what you don't see is my spotter who was out of frame and keeping her eyes open for any trains.  I also checked the train schedule the day before taking this photo and stuck around the site to make sure that the trains would arrive when they were supposed to.  Sometimes you have to do your homework in order to get the photograph that you want.  In that regard, I'd like to hope that my Mom & Dad are happy to see that though it might take a year, my homework still gets done.

No comments:

Post a Comment