Wednesday 22 May 2013

Beware The Killer Bees

I suppose that the title is a bit misleading.  I mean, B. Brian Blair and Jumpin' Jim Brunzell were pretty good workers, but they were forever doomed in being stuck behind the likes of The British Bulldogs, The Hart Foundation or The Dream Team back in the mid-1980's.  That's what I call a tag-team division that has some depth.  Oops, that's right.  This is the photography blog.  Allow me to get back on course.  I paid a visit to my parents yesterday and filled my camera with all kind of photos of flowers, critters and these Bumblebees.  To be perfectly honest, I`ve never been a big fan of these buzzing bugs due to some previous childhood experiences involving disturbing a few nests and lots of calamine lotion.  However, even I can`t deny that they look rather majestic.  Thankfully, I have something in my possession called a 75-300mm lens that allows me to photograph these bees without putting myself in danger of repeating my past experiences.  There were a couple of bees flying around my mom`s flowers so I decided to try my luck and see if I could snap a few pictures. While I`ve already mentioned that the 75mm-300mm lens was useful in keeping me a safe distance away from the bees, the downside is that the biggest aperture I can get at 300mm is f/5.6  I took these pictures late in the afternoon and it was rather cloudy, so shooting at f/5.6 caused a little bit of blurring in some of my shots, though these turned out well.  One of these days I'll be able to remind myself that it is possible to change my ISO while shooting.  Simply going from ISO 100, which I was shooting at, to a higher number would have solved the blurring problem very quickly.  I'm going to have to put sticky notes on my camera to solve that mental lapse since it's getting to be a bit more common than I would like.  Okay, enough with the negative.  I really like the first picture you see on this page.  Always lead with your best, that's why it's there.  I wasn't sure that I would be able to capture a bee in flight, but not only did I manage to do it, but I caught the bee with the orange head as well.  Nothing against the other bee, he is featured in the three other pictures after all, but that orange headed bee had a bit more charisma.  As I've already said, I shot all of the photographs you see here at ISO 100, but here are the rest of the stats, in order of appearance.  f/5.6, 1/100sec at 180mm.  f/5.6, 1/80sec at 300mm.  f/5.6, 1/125sec at 300mm and finally f/5.6, 1/160sec at 300mm.  There was also some cropping done afterwards and some Levels work on two of them to add a bit of punch to the colour.  Anything shot below 1/80sec was pretty much deleted right away as all I ended up with was a shot of the flower and a little yellow blur.  I also usually try to shoot at f/4 to get a good amount of background blur, but shooting at f/5.6, which was as far as I could go with this particular lens, blurred enough of the background to keep me satisfied.  I give a lot of grief to my 75mm-300mm lens, but it came through for me on this day.  You'll be seeing some more photos I took using it of a little furry friend in the days to come.  Much thanks has to be given to my new little yellow friends for being the perfect models.  They didn't have any demands, they were a little late and shy at first, but quickly warmed up to the camera.  Most importantly, they didn't sting me.  I've already used enough calamine lotion to last one lifetime.




No comments:

Post a Comment