Tuesday 7 May 2013

Purple On The Water

I guess that last post made me a little nostalgic.  I went back and took another look at my Vancouver photos and realized I had yet to share this one with you.  As luck would have it, today is also this photographs birthday.  Yep, it was taken on May 7th, 2010.  It's also the very first photograph that I ever sold.  I arrived in Vancouver on the 6th for a friend's wedding and found myself wide awake at 5:00AM the next morning.  Little jet-lagged I guess.  After a few minutes of tossing and turning I did something that goes a little against character.  I went out for a walk.  I'll never be accused of being the most physically active person on the face of the Earth, but the photographer in my blood wasn't going to let me sit in my hotel room and watch TV while there was a whole city I had never visited that was waiting to be photographed.  After a few hours of wandering, I wound my way down to the waterfront site of Expo '86.  I guess it's only natural that I was drawn in that direction considering all of the time that I spend at the Expo '67 site.  While walking past the dome along the boardwalk I was stopped by these wonderful purple flowers.  I was just taking photos of the plant itself when I took the extra second to notice the skyline of Vancouver not only in the background, but also perfectly reflected on the water.  I felt that the flowers should remain the focus of the shot, so I focused on them and shot.  I took the photograph at f/4 , 1/200sec,  ISO 100 at 24mm.  Before leaving for Vancouver, I was asked by a friend of mine to get a nice shot of the mountains that he could buy and then give to his mother as a gift.  Sadly, I never made it to the mountains on that trip, but when I got home I showed him this photo and he loved it.  And just like that, I had my very first sale.  This photo also made it's way into my first photography exhibition last October where several other people got to see it and I discovered that it was liked by several other people as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment