Tuesday 10 December 2013

He Wanted Some Rockets

I don't usually do requests, mostly because I don't get any, but last month after I posted a picture of some jelly beans here and on my Facebook Photography Page (go there and 'Like' the page if you haven't done so already) I received a comment from one of my longtime fans.  He's also my cousin, but I'm kind of short in the 'fan' department.  The comment was "I need Rockets"  You need Rockets?  I got your Rockets right here.  I don't think I would have chosen to shoot these candies on my own since I don't really like them.  The only use I've ever had for Rockets in my life is from using them as an extra special ingredient in the snowballs.  They're real cool when they explode.  These Rockets rank third when it comes to my candy photos.  Rockets don't have the shine of Smarties or the brightness of jelly beans, but I kind of like their shape and the little glare of light left by my flash.  I'd been looking for a different way to light food and my friend Marilyn (a former Concordia classmate and pretty good photographer herself) had posted a couple of photographs of some cakes she had taken.  I asked how she lit them, and she told me that she had bounced the flash off the ceiling.  I decided to try it and I really liked the results.  I shot this photo at f/7.1, 1/250sec, ISO 100 at 50mm.  Now I find myself with a bag full of Rockets.  Good thing it snowed here yesterday, might be time to load up a couple of snowballs.

No comments:

Post a Comment