Sunday 27 April 2014

Fresh Rolls

I've been eating homemade rolls like those that you see here for as long as I can remember.  The first that I tasted were made by my Grandmother, Grammie.  Later in life, the next batch would be made by my Aunt Tootsie.  Finally, this batch you see here was the first one to be made by my Mother.  I figured that such an occasion needed to be captured in digital form as both a tribute to those who have made them in the past, and in recognition of my Mom's first successful attempt.  I really wanted to capture the texture of the rolls, as well as the warm colour of their tops.  I set the rolls on a plate next to the window and used another white plate to reflect some light onto the left-hand side of the frame.  While looking at some shots, I noticed that the sun was creating a little glow against one of the living room walls, so I moved the plate a little bit to catch that rectangle of reflected sun that you see in the top left-hand corner of the photograph.  I think it adds an extra little something to the shot.  I also really like the reflection of the light along the bottom of the plate.  This photograph was taken at f/4, 1/50sec, ISO 400 at 60mm.  The macro lens really brought out the texture of the rolls, as well as the background blur from shooting at f/4.  These rolls have been my favourites for many year, and hopefully for many more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment