Friday 11 April 2014

Have Some Cake

It's been a while since anything new has been posted here at the blog.  I've been busy going through all of my photographs taken during the Facade show, trying to edit them down to a size that will fit onto a CD for the actors and producers of the show.  However, it has meant that this page has sadly been neglected for the past week.  Being the good host that I am, I figured you all deserved a little treat.  I can't think of a better treat to serve than this awesome chocolate cake.  This cake was created by My Lovely Assistant for my father's birthday and was enjoyed by all.  I managed to smuggle a chunk of it home so that I could grab a picture or two.  I can't claim total creative license for this shot.  I had been having some bad luck grabbing pictures of cakes lately so I figured I'd try and keep things simple by trying to just re-create the photo that was used in the cookbook that the recipe was found in.  To do so, I asked My Lovely Assistant to cut a small slice off of the side of the cake to give it a smooth look.  I then placed it on the kitchen table so that the sun would properly light up the smooth side that had just been cut.  In order to get some light on the other side of the cake, I asked My Lovely Assistant to hold a white plate near the back of the cake in order to reflect some light onto it to better see the texture of the frosting.  As you can see, My Lovely Assistant was rather involved in this project.  I shot this photograph at f/5.6, 1/50sec, ISO 1600 at 60mm.  I used a high ISO because I wanted to avoid using my flash, and I used the Macro lens in order to make sure that the already impressive cake filled up most of the photograph.  I think this one turned out pretty good.  It tasted even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment