Wednesday 23 September 2015

Pink Floyd Tribute

As Summer makes way to Fall, I had better get a move on with my photographs.  There were lots of photographs taken over the last few months, and as usual I didn't have the time to get them all up here on the blog.  One thing that I really enjoyed this summer was all of the opportunities I had to photograph some fun concerts.  The last of which happened a few weeks back on September 6th.  The event was the first ever Sommet des arts et de la musique de Longueuil and the big event was a tribute to Pink Floyd held by local musician Gregory Charles and his musicians along with guest vocalist Kim Richardson.  It was My Lovely Assistant who discovered an advertisement for the event in a local newspaper, and it seemed like a good way to spend a Sunday night.  We headed down to the concert site about an hour before the show, only to find that it was already rather full.  The location was kind of small to begin with, and many people had already arrived.  After looking over the crowd, I formed a quick plan.  I noticed a little point of entry near the stage, and a clear walking path down the center of the crowd where the electrical wires had been placed.  While everyone was looking behind them at a group of drummers who were the opening act, I made my move down the path and put myself right at the front of the group of people who were standing just behind everyone else who was seated.  Yeah, it was kind of underhanded and sneaky, but nobody complained and I ended up with a good spot.  Sadly, the lighting for the show was very dark and it made things a little difficult to get some good shots.  I decided to try and focus on playing with the lights, trying to shoot when the spotlights were pointed at me and creating some strange light effects.  My personal favourite is a shot of the guitarist where it kind of looks like he was just about to explode into a ball of light.  The show ended with a brief fireworks display over the stage, but I missed most of the good explosions because I was shooting with my telephoto lens rather than my wide-angle.  This is why most concert photographers shoot shows with two cameras around their necks.  Well, Christmas is coming soon, maybe Santa will decide that I've been particularly good this year.  The first photograph was taken at f/5.6, 1/80sec, ISO 3200 at 200mm.  The second photograph was taken at f/5.6, 1/100sec, ISO 3200 at 102mm and the third photograph was taken at f/4.5, 1/160sec, ISO 3200 at 95mm.  Here are a couple more photographs I took during the show.

f/4.5, 1/160sec, ISO 3200 at 142mm

f/4.5, 1/200sec, ISO 3200 at 123mm

f/4.5, 1/60sec, ISO 3200 at 105mm

f/3.5, 1/800sec, ISO 3200 at 200mm

f/5, 1/125sec, ISO 3200 at 70mm

f.5, 1/125sec, ISO 3200 at 70mm

f/5, 1/100sec, ISO 3200 at 70mm

It was a pretty cool summer of music.  Hopefully I'll be able to find my way to some more of these shows next year.  I'll be sure to have My Lovely Assistant keep scanning all of the papers.





No comments:

Post a Comment