Tuesday 15 September 2015

Rimouski Dixie Band

It seems that my little spider the other day wasn't as popular as I thought he would be.  The most common comments, especially those of My Lovely Assistant and Belle Mom were along the lines of "Ewww" or "It's disgusting", or other comments along those same lines.  I suppose that I understand since I'm no great lover of spiders, so it is time to move on.  One of the stops on this year on the vacation road trip was the city of Rimouski.  We read that there was going to be a jazz festival while we were on the road, so we decided to stop during the drive home and spend an evening there.  Of course, I brought my camera with me, but sadly the Rimouski Jazz Festival is a tad bit smaller than the one here in Montreal.  All of the events took place either in the free tent, the paying tent or some acts who would perform in the open space between the two.  We arrived near the end of the set of the group that was playing in the free tent, and early for the paying tent, so I figured I'd try my luck and see if I could capture any photographs of the group that was playing for free out in the open.  It was a bit of a challenge as the only lighting were some street lights that the group was performing under.  Luckily, they were playing an slow style of Dixie jazz so I was still able to get some shots without lots of motion blur despite the lack of light.  The first shot was taken at f/2.8, 1/30sec, ISO 3200 at 70mm and the second shot was taken at f/2.8, 1/60sec, ISO 3200 at 95mm.  Here are a few more photographs from their set.

f/2.8, 1/30sec, ISO 3200 at 200mm

f/3.5, 1/50sec, ISO 3200 at 70mm

I went up to the band after the show and asked if they had a Facebook page or site on the internet where I could send them the pictures I took.  They said that they only had personal pages, but would still be very happy to see the photographs I took.  So, I sent the photographs and the group was very thankful.  I didn't think I'd be able to capture anything in such low light, but I was able to walk away with some cool photographs, got to hear some good music and made a couple of people happy as well.  I call that a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment