Thursday 7 July 2016

Montreal International Fireworks Competition - Chile

The 32rd Edition of the Montreal International Fireworks Competition brought much colour and noise to the skies over the Greater Montreal area last night.  This was the second show of the competition, and was handled by the Pirotencia Spa company, specifically their Chilean branch.  Mother Nature had been threatening a sky show of her own as thunderstorms had been in the forecast for much of the evening, but they never materialized.  Since the threat of rain was hovering, I stayed close to home for these photographs, choosing to shoot from a spot in Saint-Lambert's Seaway Park.  It's a spot I like as the park runs along a busy highway right across from the fireworks.  As a result, I get a light show in the sky from the fireworks and also a bonus show at the bottom of the screen from the light trails left behind from the passing cars.  Sometimes, a squad of police cars, there to make sure that traffic keeps moving, pass at the same time and makes for a crazy mix of colours along the roadway.  Though the rain did finally hold off, a little more wind would have been welcomed.  The smoke from the exploding fireworks would linger a little longer than than I would have liked, smoking out some of the fireworks.  I ended up having an accurate trigger finger on this night and came home with, in my own not so humble opinion, several cool photographs.  The first one was taken at f/10, 10sec, ISO 100 at 50mm and the second photograph was taken at f/10, 8sec, ISO 100 at 50mm.  Here are a few more photographs that I took of the show.

 f/10, 6sec, ISO 100 at 50mm

f/13, 8 sec, ISO 100 at 50mm
 
f/13, 10sec, ISO 100 at 50mm
 
f/13, 8 sec, ISO 100 at 50mm

f/13, 6sec, ISO 100 at 50mm
 
I generally try to keep these fireworks themed updates limited to six shots, but after several hours of trying to cut down on my list, I made it to seven and could decide on which last photograph wasn't going to make the cut.  So, since this is my blog, I suppose that it is okay for me to break my own rules.  It also means that my archives just grew in size.  Maybe I'll have an all fireworks themed month some time in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment