Sunday 17 July 2016

Montreal International Fireworks Competition - Switzerland

Another Saturday night in Montreal means another Saturday night of fireworks.  Up this week was Switzerland, who was being represented by the Sugym Fireworks Company, who were making their second appearance at the competition.  It was also a chance for me to try out a new shooting location.  This one is located down at the Old Port of Montreal.  I went there last year for some photographs, but this time instead of using the walkway that leads to the old clock tower, I went down closer to where the artificial beach is.  I think it's a pretty cool spot.  You get a nice view of the fireworks, a good view of the bridge, and the clock tower on the right adds another little landmark to the photograph.  My only disappointment was that instead of the clock tower being illuminated as usual, there was some kind of light show being displayed upon it.  That kind of frustrated me at certain points of the evening.  The light show did provide some interesting effects of the walls of the tower, but sometimes simplicity is best, and I would have liked for some regular lighting on atleast one of my photographs.  That aside, I think that the photographs you see here on the page are rather cool, and the first one is probably my favourite that I have so far taken this year.  The theme of of the presentation was e-motions, inspired by emoticons which are those little smiley face things you see while reading things on the internet.  Something like this, :-) for example.  They even managed to make a few such faces appear in the sky, though with long exposure photography, they still come off looking like streaks of light.  The first photograph was taken at f/9, 13sec, ISO 100 at 43mm and the second photograph was taken at f/10, 10sec, ISO 100 at 43mm.  Here are a few more photographs that I took during the show.

f/10, 25sec, ISO 100 at 43mm

f/10, 8sec, ISO 100 at 43mm

f/10, 30sec, ISO 100 at 43mm

f/18, 20sec, ISO 100 at 38mm
Hard to believe, but the fireworks competition is already half over.  Or you could go the more positive route and say that there is still half to go.  Either way, if you're a fan get out there to see them.  Though clouds and humidity have caused a little bit of a problem for me this year, the shows are still spectacular to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment