Sunday 6 January 2019

Booms & Bumps

Sometimes you have to go to the back-up plan.  It was the final Natrel Fire On Ice fireworks and since it was kind of cloudy, I thought I'd just go back to the waterfront, but the parking lot I usually go to was closed.  Not a problem, I figured I'd park a little higher up on the island but the meter refused to take my card.  That meant it was down to parking lot #3, and that one wasn't really ideal for waterfront access.  So, it was up to the walking/bicycle path of the Jacques Cartier Bridge that I went.  The deck of the bridge offers a nice view of the fireworks and the city.  On the downside, because most of the path is closed for the season, the best shooting spot is right next to an expansion joint.  That means that that every time a fast moving car or heavy truck goes by, I would feel the bump where I was standing.  If you look closely at the fireworks streaks, you can see bumps in the streaking light.  Every one of those bumps was a passing motor vehicle.  Luckily, the shaking camera didn't blur out the buildings or the entire outing would have been a waste.  The first photograph was taken at f/16, 13sec, ISO 100 at 40mm.  Here are a few more.

f/16, 8sec, ISO 100 at 48mm

f/16, 10sec, ISO 100 at 48mm

f/16, 8sec, ISO 100 at 48mm

f/16, 6sec, ISO 100 at 48mm

f/16, 13sec, ISO 100 at 48mm

With the exception of the first photograph which was cropped to 12" x 4", the others were all cropped to 12" x 6".  The bumps were a little frustrating, but shooting from the bridge does offer a unique view.  I guess we take the good with the bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment