Wednesday 10 October 2012

A Little Love For My 70-300mm Lens

Before everything got turned upside down in preparation of my exhibition, which still can be seen at the Greenfield Park Library (225 Empire, Greenfield Park) until November 6th, I went on a kind of rant against my 70-300mm Canon zoom lens.  So, in the search for some good karma, I wanted to publish a photo taken with the much maligned lens in question.  The image above was taken from a bicycle path just underneath the Jacques Cartier Bridge.  I was there to photograph some fireworks, but this photograph was taken while I was waiting for the sky to explode.  I decided to test out my lens to make sure I was a good distance away to capture the fireworks.  The swirling effect you see around the ride is the ride itself rising up.  It was some kind of attraction that spins around a lot and generally causes people like me to lose their lunch.  Which is why I much prefer photographing these things as opposed to riding them.  The light is captured by the camera and remains in the final image, much like it does with the light streaks from cars.  The shot was taken at f/20, 30sec. ISO 100 at 270mm.  My only regret was that the Ferris Wheel wasn't turning at the same time.  I took several versions of this shot hoping that the wheel would eventually turn, but no dice.  Guess Ferris Wheel's aren't as popular as they used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment