Monday 13 January 2014

Light My Fire

As the days spent on my couch continue to grow, I find more photographs to play with.  My philosophy has always been that everything is worth being photographed.  I've always believed that even the smallest of details can make for an interesting photograph.  Take this photograph here.  It began life as the photograph of a nearly spent tea light.  My Lovely Assistant has this table decoration that is a rotating nativity scene.  When you place four tea lights at the corners of the decoration, the heat from the flames causes a fan at the top of the decoration to turn, which then makes the decoration rotate.  I waited for one of the tea lights to have pretty much used up all of its wax so that the metallic base could be seen.  Then, using my Macro lens, I focused on the burning end of the wick and began snapping away.  I really like all of the different colours that this photo produced.  The yellow of the flame, the orange of the burning wick and the burned golden colour given off by the near empty casing.  I also really like the light blue tracing that you can see near the bottom on each side of the flame. This shot was taken at f/2.8, 1/500sec, ISO 400 at 60mm.  I cropped in a little tighter on the flame and voila.  Fun little projects like this are easy to do and often produce some very cool results.  If you like this photo, feel free to follow this link to a shot of some candles I took a few years back.

No comments:

Post a Comment