Sunday 27 July 2014

Fire From Down Under

The 2014 L'International des Feux Loto-Québec continued last night with a show from Australia.  It's hard to believe that a month has already passed since the fireworks competition began.  This is my sixth update of fireworks shows so I hope that all of you out there aren't getting sick of all of the explosions.  I for one, am not.  I still really enjoy going out to photograph these shows and I had the added thrill of shooting from a new location last night.  I generally stick to the South Shore for shooting the fireworks because getting back home afterwards can be a rather long task.  They close the Jacques Cartier Bridge for these shows so that people can watch the fireworks from it.  That, coupled with the seemingly endless construction work all over Montreal can make for some long waits in trying to get back home across the river.  In order to try and avoid that mess, My Lovely Assistant and myself decided to make the trek on bicycle.  Our final destination was Parc de la Cité-du-Havre, a small park just across the Old Port.  I found out about this location last year thanks to my friend and fellow photographer Marilyn Francetich, and I was excited to head out there to shoot some photos myself.  Those of you who read about my experience last week with the full parking lot may remember how I found it incredible that people would wait for up to six hours to watch a fireworks show.  Well, My Lovely Assistant and myself almost joined those ranks as we arrived at the park a good two and a half hours before showtime.  Luckily, she had packed a tasty picnic lunch and we managed to find a bench to sit on after I had staked claim to a spot by planting my tripod on the ground.  At 10:00PM sharp, the fireworks began to light up the sky and the wait proved to have been worth it.  I really liked this location.  I provided a clear view of the fireworks, I got to have the Jacques Cartier Bridge in my shots and the fireworks reflected very nicely on the river.  That's what I call some winning conditions.  The first shot was taken at f/16, 17sec, ISO 100 at 52mm.  The second photograph was taken at f/16, 9sec, ISO 100 at 52mm.  Here are a couple more.


f/16, 10sec, ISO 100 at 52mm

f/16, 14sec, ISO 100 & 52mm

f/16, 7sec, ISO 100 at 52mm

f/16, 7sec, ISO 100 at 52mm

So brings an end to another night of bright lights and loud explosions.  Watching these shows is a great way to spend a summer evening and the display put on by Australia, as well as the great location provided by Marilyn, didn't disappoint.  I might just have to find my way out there for a show again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment