Thursday 6 August 2015

I'm Gonna Need A Bigger Plate

Though I generally enjoy photography and taking pictures, there is one aspect that still frustrates me and causes me headaches.  Food photography.  It's doubly frustrating for me when I come home to find that My Lovely Assistant has gone and created something as cool as this watermelon shark and I can't seem to find a way to make it look as awesome as it is.  In this case, I was trying to find an angle where the melon would look like the head of the shark was coming out of the water, hence the extra pieces of melon around the base of the melon around the plate.  I tried bouncing my flash off of several things, I tried to reflect the natural light onto the melon and several other little tricks of the trade.  So much so, that the melon actually began to sweat from being out in the heat for so long after having had spent much of the day in the fridge.  Although, I actually like that it was sweating, the water kind of added to the whole shark illusion.  The first photograph was taken at f/10, 1/250sec, ISO 100 at 34mm and the second photograph was taken at f/10, 1/125sec, ISO 100 at 24mm.  I've been looking at some food blogs and doing some reading on food photography in an attempt to try and get better at this so that my photographs will hopefully be as cool as the creative food work being done by My Lovely Assistant.


No comments:

Post a Comment