Thursday 8 October 2015

Rimouski Reflections

Last week I put up some photographs taken at sunset while My Lovely Assistant and I happened to be in Rimouski.  I was really happy with those photographs, but there was one other photograph that night that I liked as well.  This one was taken a little bit later that night.  We had decided to take a walk by the river and while heading back to the site of the jazz festival, I really liked the way  that the city lights were reflecting in the river.  I'd normally use a tripod to take such a photograph, but I didn't have one on me at the time.  I raised the ISO of my camera as high as it would go, set my aperture at f/16 in order to get a nice star effect on the lights, propped myself against the metal railings, held my breath and snapped away.  As you can imagine, many of the shots I took ended up quite blurry, but this one came out pretty well.  It was shot at f/16, 1/13sec, ISO 3200 at 75mm.  It's a good thing that this one worked out, because as soon as I had taken it, the wind began to pick up, and the once calm river was suddenly full of waves, killing the reflections that had been there moments before.  Sure, the sky is overly dark, but I still like this photograph because it's a shot that I really had no business getting, yet I managed to get it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment