Thursday 1 October 2015

Rimouski Sunset

It has been about a month since the little summer road trip vacation I took with My Lovely Assistant to Percé.  As is the norm, none of the photographs that I took on vacation have seen the light of day.  What can I say, time goes by very quickly.  With that in mind, here are a couple of photographs that I took during out little stop in the city of Rimouski.  We were on the drive home from Percé and decided to take the long-way home.  We figured we'd drive until the town of Rimoski where we would stop as there was a Jazz Festival taking place that weekend.  We arrived in the early evening, found a motel to stay at and then hit downtown for the music.  As an added bonus, some of you may remember the photographs I managed to take while there of this cool little Dixie Band.  Before taking those photographs, we walked around the site a little bit just as the sun was beginning to set.  I didn't have a tripod with me since tripods and music festivals don't usually mix.  This provided a bit of a problem since I needed a slow shutter speed to properly photograph the sunset.  So, I got a little creative.  I rested my camera on the metal barrier that was separating the festival grounds from the main street, set my camera to burst mode and hoped to get lucky.  I tried to catch some of the passing cars in my shots, hoping to add some light streaks to the bottom of the image because I've always liked light streak.  The sunset though, is the real star.  It was somewhat cloudy and the setting sun turned the clouds in the sky into a cool textured red.  After getting a few shots with cars that were to my liking, I grabbed a few more of just the sunset over the St. Lawrence River with one of the islands in the middle of the river silhouetted.  The first photograph was taken at f/11, 1/13sec, ISO 400 at 70mm.  The second photograph was taken at f/11, 1/13sec, ISO 400 at 70mm and the third photograph was taken at f/2.8, 1/30sec, ISO 400 at 200mm.

f/2.8, 1/40sec, ISO 400 at 70mm 

The stop in Rimouski wasn't part of the original plan for our vacation.  It only came about because of an add we saw in a restaurant while in Percé.  Some good music and some nice photographs resulted from it.






No comments:

Post a Comment