Sunday 18 September 2016

Slayer At The Metropolis

Time for the Main Event.  As mentioned in the previous update, I attended a concert last week by legendary thrash metal groups Death Angel, Anthrax and headlined by one of the biggest bands of the genre, Slayer at the Montreal Metropolis.  I was a little bit torn before the concert because I wasn't sure if I would even bring my camera with me at all.  Seeing as how this was going to be a thrash metal show, I though security would be extra tight and that there would be no way that I'd be able to get my camera in the door.  On the other hand, I really wanted to get some photographs of these bands for my collection as I have been listening to them since I was a teenager.  With the show being in a club like the Metropolis as opposed to the Bell Center, I knew that this would probably be my best chance to get those photographs.  My hard head won out in the end, and though security was very tight, as evidenced by my confiscated Lifesavers, I was still able to get the camera into the building.  From my location, I was able to photographs the California legends as they tore through their catalogue of songs which helped them claim a spot as one of The Big Four, along with Metallica, Megadeth and Anthrax, of Heavy Metal.  Though I wasn't close enough to the stage to get any close-up shots of the band while they played, I did manage to caputre, in my opinion, some very cool photographs of the band with the spotlights and their many backgrounds.  That kind of became my mission right from the very start as I knew close-ups were going to be out of the question.  I was also aided by those spotlights being very powerful.  It allowed me to lower my ISO and get much less grain in my photographs that I had earlier in the evening.  The lack of grain made all the difference in my having 12 photographs of Slayer, but only four from Death Angel.  Along with the photographs of the band, I also took some cool photographs of the lighting and backgrounds, but I'll save those for another update as there is already a lot here for all of you out there to dig through.  In the meantime, the first photograph was taken at f/8, 1/60sec, ISO 1250 at 50mm.  The second photograph was taken at f/4.5, 1/100sec, ISO 1250 at 50mm and the third photograph was taken at f/5, 1/400sec ISO 1250 at 50mm.  Here are some more photographs that I took during the show.
f/3.5, 1/160sec, ISO 1250 at 50mm

f/2.8, 1/200sec, ISO 1250 at 50mm

f/2.8, 1/500sec, ISO 1250 at 50mm

f/5.6, 1/125sec, ISO 1250 at 50mm

f/2.2, 1/200sec, ISO 1250 at 50mm

f/2.8, 1/400sec, ISO 1250 at 50mm

f/4, 1/250sec, ISO 1250 at 50mm

f/3.2, 1/320sec, ISO 1250 at 50mm

f/3.2, 1/250sec, ISO 1250 at 50mm

When I mentioned previously in the last update that anything and everything happens in the most pit, I think a good example of that is the ninth photograph.  Yes, that is a shoe that is flying through the air.  I'm guessing that there was no foot still in it, but we just don't know.  I kid, I kid.  I was a little apprehensive about having the crowd in my photographs.  I was afraid that they would block out the musicians.  While that did happen a few times, more often than not, all of those arms in the air made me like the photographs even more.  Not bad of a haul considering I was tempted to not even bring my camera with me.  Some nice additions to the musical wing of my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment