Monday 12 December 2016

Manoir Sweetsburg

I suppose it might seem a little bit odd that on the day that we have the first big snow storm of the season, I'm posting a photograph that was taken during the Summer months.  What can I say, sometimes I like to go against the grain.  I'm also running out of time to post the photographs that I had already prepared with a 2016 watermark before the year comes to an end, so away we go.  These two photographs are kind of close to me.  That's because my family used to own the house that you're looking at.  This house, located in the city of Cowansville, once belonged to my Great Grandparents.  It is now a very popular bed & breakfast in the area, known as the Manoir Sweetsburg.  I ended up taking a photograph of the building because my parents wanted to offer it as a gift to a cousin who they had stayed with while on vacation a few years back.  I couldn't decide which photograph that I liked more, so they ended up getting both.  The first one, taken at f/9, 1/400sec, ISO 400 at 24mm included a little building at the back that used to be a horse barn and is the one I chose to get blown up for a larger print.  The second photograph, taken at f/9, 1/400sec, ISO 400 at 30mm,  I also included as a tighter cropped 4x6.  A painting of this house used to be on the wall at my Grandparents house and it's a little nice to know that my photograph will hang on the wall of another member of the family.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mr Mahannah,
    I am the owner of Sweetsburg Manor. The history of the Manor is important to me. Is it possible to know the name of your grandparents?
    Regards,
    Anne-Marie Desmarais

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anne-Marie. My Great-Grandparents were Vivian Viola Barette and Harry Strange. They would have owned the Manoir from the early 1950's to the early 1970's (1951-1971). They sold their farm at Pine Corners in order to buy the Manoir and later sold it to a Mr. McLaughlin from Westmount. Thanks for asking.

      Delete