Monday 7 August 2017

Montreal International Fireworks Competition - Finale

As Geoffrey Chaucer once said, all good things must come to an end.  Such is the case with the 2017 edition of the L'Internationale des feux Loto-Québec has wrapped up.  This was the 33rd edition of the world renowned fireworks competition and though I got off to a slow start this year by missing the first two shows, I was happy to be able to take in the final six.  This final show of the year was put together by GFA PYRO and was themed "C’est dans le ciel:Serge Fiori and Harmonium".  Both Serge Fiori, who helped select the soundtrack for the nights fireworks display, and Haromonium were huge musical acts in 1970's era Montreal.  This final show of the year is often themed around a musical act, so dedicating the show to these very popular Montreal acts is part of the city's 375th anniversary celebrations.  I took in these fireworks from my second favourite location, a walkway over Taschereau Boulevard.  A location that is also usually pretty full, but I was able to take advantage of a weather scare once again and found myself all alone on the walkway about ten minutes before the show began.  The sky opened about an hour before the fireworks were due to begin and it's pretty clear that the bad weather kept lots of people away.  Fortunately, I was already very close to the spot as My Lovely Assistant and I were having dinner at her mother's house, which is about a five minute walk from my spot.  Once the rain stopped, I was out the door and ready to shoot.  What I love about this spot is that not only does it give a great view of the fireworks, but I also get some nice light streaks from the cars that are passing below.  As an added bonus, I get a great view of the bad driving habits of my fellow drivers as they zigzag all over the place, some even coming to a full stop on the busy boulevard.  The first photograph was taken at f/16, 10sec, ISO 100 at 57mm.  The second photograph was taken at f/16, 20sec, ISO 100 at 57mm and the third photograph was taken at f/16, 15sec, ISO 100 at 57mm.  Here are a few more photographs that I took during the show.

f/16, 15sec, ISO 100 at 57mm

f/16, 20sec, ISO 100 at 57mm

f/16, 15sec, ISO 100 at 57mm

f/16, 10sec, ISO 100 at 57mm

f/16, 15sec, ISO 100 at 57mm

As I said way back at the beginning, all good things do come to an end.  However, if you're a fan of my fireworks photographs, never fear, your friendly neighbourhood photographer has one more update still left up his sleeve.  See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment