Friday 4 August 2017

Tried Something New

The 2017 edition of the L’International des Feux Loto-Québec is quickly coming to an end.  As I mentioned a little while back, my motivation this year was kind of lacking due to a lack of different locations for me to use for the shows this year.  With that in mind, My Lovely Assistant and I made our way onto the deck of the Jacques Cartier Bridge in the hopes that I could finally find a nice spot to photograph the fireworks.  After an impressive belly flop over the cement barricade and making our way past the security guards and their machine guns, we walked most of the span of the bridge to where I hoped I would get a nice view of the fireworks against the structure of the bridge.  As you can see by looking at the third photograph in this set, and by the total lack of others like it, this adventure didn't end as I had hoped it would.  As the fireworks were going off, we continued to walk on the bridge, making our way back from where we came, but stopping along the way at different locations to try and grab a photograph or two along the way.  I still got a couple of nice ones.  I grabbed a couple of nice explosions with the first photograph, and I do find the shot of the fireworks going off outside of the steel beams to be interesting, but I've always preferred my fireworks photographs to have something in the background.  As such, though these are still some nice shots, they do feel a little bit empty to me.  To fill time, I also took a couple of special effects shots of the fireworks by zooming in and out over the course of the explosions, which makes the photograph look like the fireworks are dancing through the air.  The first photograph was taken at f/8, 5sec, ISO 100 at 24mm.  The second photograph was taken at f/8, 13sec, ISO 100 at 24mm and the third photograph was taken at f/16, 25sec, ISO 100 at 24mm.  Here are a few more photographs that I took over the course of the show.

f/16, 20sec, ISO 100 between 24 and 70mm

f/8, 6sec, ISO 100 between 24 and 70mm

f/8, 6sec, ISO 100 at 24mm

That last photograph was taken after I positioned myself behind someone filming the fireworks with their cellphone.  I though that the little streak of light coming from the phone added a nice little detail to the photograph.  The fireworks were handled by the Jubilee Fireworks Ltd. company from England.  They previously won the Golden Jupiter Award in the 2015 edition of the fireworks competition and I photographed it from the top of Mount Royal.  You can see those photographs by clicking on the following link.  Hope you've been enjoying the annual competition because it's almost over.







No comments:

Post a Comment