Tuesday 1 August 2017

Montreal International Fireworks Competition - Portugal

I've fallen a little bit behind here with my photographs of the 2017 L'International des feux Loto-Quebéc, though with good reason.  That being that one of my photographs from this particular night of shooting ended up being broadcast on the CTV Montreal newscast.  If you haven't had the chance to see it, take a few seconds and watch the video by following this link.  This particular night of fireworks was brought to us by the Macedos Pirotecnia company from Portugal.  This was their third appearance here in Montreal, and at one time there were also in the Guinness Book of World Records for the largest fireworks display ever produced.  I almost didn't go out for this show because the weather forecast had been calling for rain for most of the evening.  About 30 minutes before show time, and after several hours of watching the weather radar, I finally made my move out the door and headed out to my favourite spot. Fortunately, many other people must have been watching the same weather because there were very few people there.  Though it is my favourite spot, over the last few years, it has also become the favourite spot of several other people as well.  So much so, that if you don't get there at least an hour before the fireworks start, you may not have a productive position to shoot from as there are people everywhere.  Much more do than when I began shooting from this spot a few years ago.  I guess it's difficult to keep a good thing under wraps.  Once again smoke proved to be a bit of a problem after several rapid fire explosions, but the wind did a fine job of blowing most of it away.  The first photograph of this set was taken at f/16, 13sec, ISO 100 at 46mm.  The second photograph was taken at f/10, 8sec, ISO 100 at 46mm and the third photograph was taken at f/10, 10 sec, ISO 100 at 46mm.  Here are a few more photographs that I took over the course of the fireworks display. 

f/10, 8sec, ISO 100 at 46mm

f/10, 8sec, ISO 100 at 46mm

f/16, 8sec, ISO 100 at 46mm

It was probably my favourite set of fireworks photographs that I've taken of the competition this year, but there are still two shows that remain.  We'll see if I can top these photographs in the days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment