Monday 25 June 2018

Garden Poppy

It's two-for-one special day here on the old blog.  On occasion, I find myself playing with some of my photographs and by cropping at different locations, I end up with two versions that I like.  Such was the case with this poppy that was growing in my Mom's garden.  The flower itself was pretty banged up as it had been already in bloom for a while.  However, the stamen at the center of the flower was still in good shape.  I decided I'd snap off a photograph of the flower and see how things would turn out.  I grabbed my macro lens, focused on the center of the flower and snapped away.  Once at home, I began to crop in nice and tight on the stamens because I felt it was the most important part of the photograph.  However, as I continued to play around, I also created another version where the center was still the focus of the photograph, but showed a little bit more of the petals.  I liked some of the age marks on the petals, I felt like it gives the flower a little bit of character.  The photograph was taken at f/6.3, 1/100sec, ISO 400 at 60mm and then both cropped to 8"x12".  Both photographs have something that I really like and hopefully they have a little something that grabs your eye as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment