Sunday 29 December 2019

Van Houtte Fire On Ice At The Old Port Of Montreal

f/16, 25sec, ISO 100 at 45mm

I suppose that it's a good lesson to learn that things don't always go as planned.  Last night was the third edition of the Van Houtte Fire on Ice fireworks display from the Old Port of Montreal and I felt like trying something new.  One of my few frustrations during the fireworks in July is that they shut off the lights on the Jacques Cartier Bridge during the shows.  I had noticed that they didn't do so in December so I thought I'd go out and try getting some fireworks and bridge lights in the same shot.

 f/16, 20sec, ISO 100 at 45mm

However, my judgment of distance was a little bit off.  Based on the fact that I have shot the fireworks from that bridge near the towers on the left hand side of the photograph, I figured the fireworks would be going off above the part of the shot.  As you can see, it wasn't quite the case, which is why these photographs are being presented in a panorama style.  Added to my fun were some high winds which resulted in a little camera shake and a passing cargo ship which blocked my view for a few minutes as it passed.

f/16, 30sec, ISO 100 at 45mm

As is usually the case, I did manage to pick out a few useful shots, though they are somewhat more cropped than I had originally planned.  On the positive side, I did manage to get those shots of fireworks and an illuminated bridge, just not exactly as planned.  Here are a few more shots.

f/16, 25sec, ISO 100 at 45mm

f/16, 25sec, ISO 100 at 45mm

f/16, 15sec, ISO 100 at 45mm

There's still one more of these shows to go, so head out there to enjoy them.  Though I suggest you get a little closer to the action than I was for these photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment