Thursday 14 May 2020

One Wild Night

We're continuing to take trips down memory lane and through the archives.  One memory that is still particularly fresh took place one year ago.  Back at then end of 2018 I took a chance and applied for a photo pass to a concert.  When I ended up getting that pass, my head began to swell up a little bit and I thought to myself, 'Hey, why don't I keep doing that!".  I circled a date on my calendar, May 15th, 2019.  That was the night that Halestorm would be having a show at the MTelus, though it was still called The Metropolis back then.  I had first seen the band at Heavy Montreal back in 2013 and had not missed one of their shows since.  I put together a quick portfolio of some of my concert photographs and stressed over pressing the 'Send' button before the voice of Joan Jett rang in my ears.  "You only lose if you don't try."  That lyric seemed to give me the push I needed.  I sent the message and was pleasantly rewarded a day later with the news that I would be getting a pass to shoot the show. It was a triple bill that night and I got to photograph all three bands that were performing.  A great memory.  One that I like to relive every once in a while thanks to some fan shot video I found of the show.  Check it out and see if you can spot Your Friendly Neighbourhood Photographer.  Since it doesn't look like I'll be shooting any shows any time soon, I figured I'd go back in time with a couple shots of Halestorm, Palaye Royale and Beasto Blanco from their performance that night.  The first photograph was taken at f/2.8, 1/500sec, ISO 1600 at 50 mm and the second photograph was taken at f/2.8, 1/2500sec, ISO 1600 at 70mm.  Here are a couple other shots from that memorable evening.

f/2.8, 1/400sec, ISO 3200 at 28mm

f/2.8, 1/125sec, ISO 3200 at 24mm

It was a terrific evening, a thrill that I still haven't forgotten.  Thank you very much Joan Jett.  If you'd like to go back in time, you can visit the photographs I took of Halestorm, Palaye Royale and Beasto Blanco by following the respective links.  Don't forget to visit the websites of Halestorm, Palaye Royale & Beasto Blanco to find out more about them and their music.  Here's to hoping for more great memories to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment