Friday 3 September 2021

Promise Kept

This is far from being my best Dragonfly photograph, but it is one that I needed to post.  Since we've moved the Head Office, I've noticed the odd Dragonfly zooming through the yard on its way to visit one of the neighbours.  I have experienced the same problem with the local birds, but that is a topic for another day.  Back to my winged friend.  Over the summer, there was this one Dragonfly in particular who would curiously fly around me as I would water the garden.  Each time, flying all around me, hovering in front of me and zigzagging around the yard.  I would gently mention how much I would love to take this photograph one day if he would feel comfortable enough to spend a few minutes in the yard.  I guess that I should have been a bit more specific and mentioned that one of our many varieties of flowers or plants would make a more pleasing background.  Instead, he chose to land on the cement siding of the house.  Pickers can't be choosers, so I tried to find a good angle without getting to close so as to not spook my new model.  I ended up taking the photograph at f/6.3, 1/50sec, ISO 800 at 200mm, and as promised, put it up on The Old Blog.  Now, hopefully he'll take the time to pose on one of those previously mentioned flowers or plants next time.  No, I don't actually think that any of my words will play any kind of role in future Dragonfly appearances in my yard, but my 'talks' have yielded a few results over the years.  I have to stay hopeful.  But, in case it helps my chances, we'll toss in a second photograph as well.  Just to show that I am dealing in good faith.

f/9, 1/50sec, ISO 2000 at 200mm

No comments:

Post a Comment