Saturday 2 December 2023

Friendly Neighbourhood Spider

Once upon a time, a great deal of time was spent killing spiders, or getting various family members to kill spiders for me.  They were far from being my favourite insect, and to be perfectly honest, were downright creepy to look at.  That changed a few years back when I suddenly had a change of heart about these eight-legged creatures.  I still think that they are kind of creepy looking, but I have grown to appreciate them and all that they do.  It also helps that they are the perfect insect for photography.  There is no chasing around to be done and no sudden movements.  This guy had been living under the roof of our deck.  He was a little mascot for us over the Summer.  We called him Spider-Man and his location was always a matter of conversation during out outdoor suppers.   Knowing the roof was due to be taken down for Winter, I snapped a little photograph of our family friend.  It was taken at f/3.2, 1/80sec, ISO 3200 at 70mm.  The next day, I gently moved our friend from the deck to our hedges in the back.  There was no question of any squishing, stomping or spraying taking place.  Spider-Man deserved to be moved to a comfy spot and hopefully he liked his new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment